Let's talk trends.
There's an interesting phenom that I've become aware of within myself and I have a sneaky suspicion other people may operate the same way. I find it crops up often for me in the arena of home decor and personal style. Something will just start to be on the edge of the collective subconscious and it will be appealing to me. For instance: fiddle leaf fig plants, oriental rugs in the bathroom or kitchen, painted ceilings, rooms that look like paint palettes in the amount of variety and shades/tints of color represented, funky vintage light fixtures, etc... Then I'll start to see the look cropping up everywhere, on home decor websites, DIY-er's blogs, magazines. Suddenly it's lost its heat for me. The appeal is gone, I'm over-saturated on the look. What I'm wondering is; is there an inherent snobbery in this sudden lack of enthusiasm? I have a friend who has everything custom made for her home. She designs her couches, cabinets, drapes, pillows, you name it. She just likes to have it be hers and only hers and she likes it to be the way she wants it to be. I know people who won't shop in chain stores for clothes like GAP or Anne Taylor because they don't want to wear what anyone else is wearing. The need to individuate runs strong, especially among creative types. I find myself sometimes wanting to yell "Oh get over yourself!" Then I have to take a look at my own preferences. I, too, prefer to put my own stamp on things, to not wear or buy or do what the herd is wearing/buying/doing. How funny is that? Typically if a large group of people is wearing/buying/doing something it's because that thing is good. You know you really like something and it's really part of your inherent style if you love it regardless of it being in or out of fashion. Here are some things I really love, no matter whats going on with them out in the world:
wood floors
clawfoot tubs
art by people you know and love
bird nests/feathers/bones/stones/driftwood
long skirts and dresses
soft pajama bottoms
fuzzy slippers
ugg boots
bright yellow rainboots
essential oils
good fiction
strong coffee
world fabrics
tortoisehell/horn objects (although I don't like that an animal suffered and I don't have any of these items, I find them beautiful)
antiques passed down from family members that have a history





Comments

Popular Posts